International Mobility


Koper and Slovenia

Slovenia borders Italy, Austria, Hungary and Croatia with a surface area of just over 20,000 sq km and about two million inhabitants. Since 1 May 2004, it has been a member of the European Union. It has excellent geographical position, in the very heart of Europe, where the Alps meet the Mediterranean and where the limestone Karst extends to the Pannonian lowlands. For more info about Slovenia visit

The city of Koper is lying on the Istrian peninsula in the South-West Slovenia on the Adriatic coast, only 20 km South of Trieste, Italy and about 30 km North of Croatian border. Besides Koper, there are other three important towns along the Slovenian coast, Izola, Piran and Portorož.

Entry into the Republic of Slovenia

The ways and conditions of entry into the Republic of Slovenia (RS) differ with regard to whether you are a citizen of a member state of the European Economic Area (EEA; EEA member states are the European Union's member countries, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) or Switzerland or a third-country national (all other states).

EEA citizens and Swiss nationals

A national of another EEA Member State or Switzerland may enter the RS with a valid personal identity card or passport, and does not require an entry permit (visa) or residence permit, regardless of the purpose of entering and residing in the RS (including entry for employment, study, self-employment or residence purposes).

Residence registration certificate

You may stay in the RS without residence registration for the first three months after entry, while for a longer stay you are required to register your stay, i.e. apply for the issue of a residence registration certificate at the administrative unit in the area of your residence prior to the expiry of your permitted three-month stay. You can of course apply for a residence registration certificate immediately upon entering the RS.

In case the purpose or the reason of the stay is studies or other forms of education, the conditions for obtaining a residence registration certificate are:

  • a valid identity card or a valid passport and proof of,
  • admission to a university or another educational institution,
  • sufficient means of subsistence (A statement provided by the student is satisfactory),
  • adequate health insurance.

Until you obtain a residence registration certificate you must fulfil the obligation of registration with the police defined by the Residence Registration Act. If you are not accommodated in a tourist or other accommodation facility or a guesthouse, you need to register with the competent police station in person within 3 days after crossing the state border and after changing the location of accommodation. If you are accommodated in a tourist facility or a guesthouse, the operator needs to register you with the competent police station within 12 hours of your check-in. However, if you stay in an accommodation facility, your landlord is obliged to register you with the competent police station within 3 days of your check-in.

Third-country nationals

A national of a third country who wishes to enter and reside in the RS for the purposes of a tourist, business, personal or other type of visit should obtain a visa at a diplomatic mission or consular post of the RS prior to his/her entering the country.

A third-country national who is a national of a country which does not require a visa to enter the RS may enter the RS and stay in it for a definite period of time (up to three months within a period of six months, counting from the date of first entry) for one of the above-listed purposes with a valid passport.

Temporary residence permit

If you wish to enter and stay in the RS for purposes other than those permitted on the basis of your visa, you are required to be in possession of a residence permit issued in the RS, which must be obtained before entry into the RS.

A first permit for temporary residence in the RS may only be issued as a temporary residence permit. The application for the granting of the first temporary residence permit must be submitted at a diplomatic mission or consulate of the RS abroad, which shall then refer it to a competent administrative unit in the RS for consideration. In the event that all the conditions are fulfilled, the administrative unit shall issue a permit and send it to a diplomatic mission or consulate of the RS abroad, where it shall then be served to you. The first temporary residence permit must be obtained prior to entry into the RS, apart from the exceptions stipulated by law, among which:

  • researchers, college/university teachers or college/university associates with a residence permit as a researcher, a college/university teacher or a college/university associate issued in another EU member state;
  • foreign students who have resided in another EU member state on the basis of a temporary residence permit for studying purposes.

For the issue of the first temporary residence permit you are required to possess the following:

  • a valid passport (the expiry date of which exceeds the intended period of stay in the RS by at least three months);
  • health insurance covering urgent health care services in the RS as a minimum requirement;
  • sufficient means of subsistence in a monthly amount at least equal to the basic minimal income in the RS;
  • a police clearance certificate of not older than three months from your country (if the country in question issues it), translated into Slovenian, and verified;
  • an authentic photograph of yourself, and you are also required to submit two of your fingerprints at a diplomatic mission or consulate of the RS abroad for their digital capture.

Aside from these basic conditions, you are also required to fulfill other conditions depending on the purpose of your stay in the RS.

Registration of temporary residence

You are required to register your temporary residence at an administrative unit within three days of settling or being served a temporary residence permit. If you settle in an accommodation facility, your temporary residence must be registered by the proprietor. When registering your residence, you are required to attach a valid personal identity document containing a photograph and evidence that you have the right to stay at the address you are registering. Proof of ownership, a rental or an under lease agreement or the written consent of the owner or co-owners of a dwelling or the manager of an accommodation facility where the owner's consent need not be verified are deemed as evidence.

The registration of a temporary residence is valid for no longer than one year. The registration of a temporary residence must be renewed by either you or your landlord within eight days from the expiry of registration.

For relevant information please check also the website of the Slovenian Ministry of the Interior: and

Slovenian Embassies and Consulates Abroad

Slovenia has embassies and consulates in many countries around the world where one can obtain general information about Slovenia and, when necessary, apply for a Temporary Residence Permit.

A large number of countries have embassies and consulates in Slovenia to assist their citizens visiting our country.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia
Prešernova cesta 25
SI-1001 Ljubljana
Tel.: +386 (1) 478 2000
Fax: +386 (1) 478 2340

Consular services
Šubičeva 10
SI-1001 Ljubljana
T: + 386 1 478 2305
F: +386 1 478 2316

There is a well organized student association called ŠOUP (Študentska organizacija Univerze na Primorskem/Student Organization of the University of Primorska) at the University of Primorska. ŠOUP takes care of students’ social life, as it organises cultural events and various sports activities ( There is also the ESN (Erasmus Students Network) which takes care of incoming students and helps them to integrate into a new environment. For more details visit


beginning of Autumn semester: 03.10.2016

beginning of Spring semester: 20.02.2017

01.10.2017-30.09.2018 Academic calendar - Academic year 2017/2018

beginning of Autumn semester: 02.10.2017

beginning of Spring semester: 19.02.2018

  • Erasmus+ student mobility for traineeships
  • programme CEEPUS*
  • Exchange within interstate agreement (BILATERAL)*
  • Exchange within interuniversity agreement
  • Exchange within Erasmus Mundus
  • FREE-MOVER exchange students
  • OTHER STUDENT MOBILITY (for exchange mobility within other mobility schemes not mentioned above)

*For details please consult also section below concerning CEEPUS exchange and Exchange within interstate agreement (BILATERAL SCHOLARSHIPS)

!!! Foreign students that wish to study at the University of Primorska as a regular students shall visit the Admission Office site.


In order to apply for exchange mobility at our university you need to submit the application form. You need to register first in the online application tool available at  web link:

After the registration you will be guided further within application tool to complete the application procedure and upload the necessary documents.


The deadline for the submission of the online application is June 15th for the first semester or full academic year and November 15th for the second semester.

 *CEEPUS exchange and Exchange within interstate agreement (BILATERAL SCHOLARSHIPS)


CEEPUS is an acronym for "Central European Exchange Program for University Studies". Current member countries are: Albania, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, the Slovak Republic and Slovenia. Prishtina/Kosovo is also participating.

CEEPUS is based on “networks”, a “network” is established when min. 3 universities connect and establish a specific “network”. There are 2 types of students: Mobility (in the “network”) and Freemovers (outside “networks”).

CEEPUS programme supports scholarships to individuals within approved network of major higher education institutions from different participating countries which then exchange students and professors.

Application Procedure

The application is on line at CEEPUS. For all the details and specifications you can ask your national agency that you find under a national flag at this web page. You can find the list of all eligible higher education institutions in Slovenia on the web page of Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology.

For more information reagarding the application procedure, residence permit, health insurance, accommodation within the CEEPUS exchange programme please visit the web site of slovene national agency CMEPIUS:

You apply within the set deadline via online at CEEPUS. Additionaly, you should also submit the online application  form to  the University of Primorska.


Slovenian Government announces a limited number of scholarships for exchange of foreign students annualy. These scholarships are based on the signed agreement on cooperation in the field of education between Slovenian Government and foreign Government.

Application Procedure

For application please check the web page of the Slovene national agency CMEPIUS:

where more information reagarding the application procedure, residence permit, health insurance, accommodation are also available within the Bilateral Scholarships exchange scheme.

You apply within the set deadline to Bilateral Scholarships exchange scheme and also submit the online application  form to the University of Primorska.


Free-mover students are students of foreign universities who wish to study as exchange students at the University of Primorska outside the existing mobility programs.

Faculties charge students the expenses related to their exchange in accordance with their current price lists.

The duration of exchange period of the free-mover student is maximum two semesters. For prolongation the approval of the faculty is obligatory.

Free-mover students shall pay all travel, accommodation and other expenses related to their stay in the Republic of Slovenia during their exchange period.


Faculty of Humanities

Faculty of Management

Faculty of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Information Technologies

Files for download: