Recognition of foreign certificates
Recognition with a view to accessing education in the Republic of Slovenia
Candidates who have finished their studies in a foreign country (not Slovenia) and would like to continue their education in a Slovenian higher education institution are obliged to acquire a decision on the recognition of their foreign education, if they have not obtained one already. Higher education institutions are the competent bodies for the education recognition procedure. The recognition procedure is a part of the enrolment procedure. The recognition application is submitted together with the study enrolment application (electronically via the eVŠ portal) when the candidate indicates that high school was completed in a foreign country (not Slovenia). The recognition application should be accompanied by the following documents required for the recognition procedure:
1. A scan or photograph of the final certificate/s on completed secondary education for which candidates wish to be recognized for consideration in the application-admission procedure, without legalization;
The Admission Office of the higher education institution will check the authenticity of the copy of the final certificate/s with the issuer of the original document .
If the higher education institution is not able to confirm the authenticity of the document, candidates will be asked to send:
Original of the final certificate/s on completed secondary education, which is legalized according to the regulations and according to the country of origin.
Certification of Documents in International Traffic Act (ZOLMP-1)
All other countries
2. A scan or photograph of the translation of the final certificate from the first point into Slovenian or English* language, if the document is not in Latin writing and is written in manuscript (a copy of the translation made by a sworn interpreter is sufficient);
3. Scan or photograph of annual report cards, transcripts, a diploma supplement or some other evidence on the contents and duration of education (last four years of education) and verified translation of certificates of the last two years of secondary school into Slovene or English*, if the document is not in Latin and is written in manuscript;
4. Scan or photograph of the handwritten (candidate's signature) short chronological description of the entire education abroad;
5. Scan or photograph of evidence of passing the Slovene language examination at the appropriate level or equivalent other evidence - only if required for enrolment to individual study programme;
6. Scan or photograph of an identity document (page with the candidate's personal data showing the name, surname, date and place of birth and nationality) – only if required by the HE institution for the purpose of checking the identity of the candidate:
- citizens of an EU Member State: identity card or passport,
- foreign nationals from a non-EU country: passport.
*Regarding the need to translate the document, please contact the authorized persons at the higher education institution to which you are submitting the application
The authorized person conducting the procedure for recognition of education may request the applicant to submit additional evidence, if this is necessary for the assessment of the application.
On the basis of the decision on recognition, the higher education institution shall enrol the holder of a foreign school certificate in the appropriate study program.
Certificates that do not require recognition
- Certificates from the former Yugoslav republics obtained before 25 June 1991 do not need to be recognized
- International Baccalaureate (IB) certificates are equivalent to matura certificates obtained in the Republic of Slovenia and do not require recognition
For further information on the system of recognizing foreign school certificates see the web site of the ENIC NARIC CENTRE Slovenia (Education recognition unit).